Leadership in the Public Sector
Welcome to our e-learning course on "Leadership in the Public Sector". This is a self-paced course for you to manage and distribute your workload as per your convenience.
The overall aim of the course is to strengthen the competences required by public sector leaders and public servants for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, to recognize the most important skills required for effective leadership, and to gain a comprehensive overview of the current and future challenges facing public leaders.
Leaders, rather than providing a solution, create opportunities for people to come together and generate their own answers. Leaders should not only bring people together and encourage creative participation, but should help people to find opportunities when faced with uncertainty, chaos, and emergence. Working together to solve problems, even when values are shared, can be a difficult process. Leaders must understand that the tension, conflict and uncertainty that come from differences provide great potential for the creative emergence of viable solutions.
The performance of any country, in seeking to achieve the SDGs, to a large extent depends on its public-sector leadership. Effective leadership translates into prudent public policy formulation and implementation, as well as good public service delivery, to meet the needs and aspirations of citizens. A single leader can create an endless chain of social change. Achieving the SDGs will require the concerted efforts of governments, the business sector, society, and individual citizens. Innovative leadership and management will be essential for organizations in all sectors to integrate these sustainable development goals into strategic plans and operational activities in service of realizing the 2030 aspirations.
The logical conclusion from the above observation is that there is a need for effective leadership education and training to enhance the capacity in this respect and enable countries to translate their commitments into strategies and actions as well as concrete positive results.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe different approaches to leadership
- Recognise the role of public sector leaders
- Recognise the challenges facing public sector leaders
- Describe the potential benefits and costs of collaboration in the context of achieving development results
- Identify possible strategies, techniques and tools to lead effectively and support the achievement of the SDGs
- Describe future challenges for public sector leaders and identify strategies in response
Module 1: Introduction to Leadership
Module 2: Leadership in the Public Sector
Module 3: Today’s Challenges for Public Leaders
Module 4: Collaborative Leadership
Module 5: Leadership and the Agenda 2030
Module 6: Forecasting Future Global Trends and their Impact on Leadership
The course is based on UNITAR’s sound adult learning pedagogical principles. Each module includes readings, self-assessment activities and quizzes. The learning activities are distributed in such a way to ensure the achievement of the learning objectives in a flexible manner.
The course is designed for public sector leaders, civil servants and managers from both developed and developing countries.
A certificate of completion will be issued to participants who achieve a minimum total score of 70%. A certificate of participation will be issued to participants who complete all mandatory activities but achieve a final score inferior to 70%.
- Jul 9, 2018 – Jul 18, 2018 High-Level Political Forum, launch event for new leadership portfolio. Jul 9, 2018 – Jul 18, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 – Aug 23, 2018 5th Leadership Development Workshop Aug 21, 2018 – Aug 23, 2018
- May 15, 2018 – May 17, 2018 UNITAR Convenes a Leadership Development Workshop May 15, 2018 – May 17, 2018
- Jun 21, 2018 – Jun 23, 2018 Leadership Side-Event at the United Nations Public Service Forum Jun 21, 2018 – Jun 23, 2018